Today, the use of a dental handpiece is necessary for every dental practitioner. A dental handpiece is an important tool in dentistry to maintain a smooth sailing dental practice and therefore requires a diligent maintenance protocol to keep it working properly.
If you want to keep your dental handpieces functioning smoothly longer and maximize the return on investment, you should learn how to care for this type of tool. Here’s how you should maintain a dental handpiece:
1. Clean the Handpiece. Flush water through the handpiece for 30 seconds and then brush it under running water. Hold it upright to remove excess water.
2. Dry the handpiece to prevent corrosion.
3. Lubricate the handpiece by using lubricating oil. Here at Dens ‘N Dente, we offer lubricating oil for handpieces. This month of August, you get a free handpiece oiler if you purchase any Autoclave product from us.
4. After lubricating, make sure to run the handpiece to distribute the oil evenly through the bearings and chuck mechanism.
5. Use alcohol and a Q-tip to remove excess oil and dirt from fiber optic surfaces of the handpieces.
6. Based on CDC guidelines, bagging handpieces is essential to maintain sterility.
7. Finally, autoclave the handpiece following the manufacturer’s guidelines. Make sure to leave the bagged handpiece in the autoclave until dry.
If you need dental handpieces for your dental office and other dental instruments, you can check our product list on our site. Here at Dens ‘N Dente, we provide innovative solutions to the constantly changing trends and needs of the dental industry. Whether it’s equipment repairs, disposable dental products, or office design; we have an affordable solution to fit the needs of your dental practice.
-The Dens ‘N Dente Team